Grade 1 Ballet Videos
Exercise 1 Preparation for Turnout
Exercise 2 Demi Plie
Exercise 3 Positions Of The Feet
Exercise 4 Battement Glisse
Exercise 5 Rond De Jambe A Terre
Exercise 6 Retire
Exercise 7 Preparation for Arabesque
The following French terms are introduced in Grade 1:
Demi-rond de jambe
Port de bras
Rond de jambe
Class Theory Questions
1. Can you demonstrate a Plié?
2. Does demi mean half or full?
3. Does plié mean bend or stretch?
4. Should the body remain straight in a Demi Plié?
5. Should the heels remain on the floor in a Demi Plié?
6. Demonstrate a Battement Tendu Devant
7. Does the toe leave the floor in a Battement Tendu?
8. What does Port de Bras mean?
9. Demonstrate 1st - 2nd - 3rd - 4th or 5th positions of arms
10. Can you demonstrate a Glissade Devant?
11. What does devant mean?
12. Should both feet point in a Glissade?
13. Do both toes remain on the floor in a Glissade in Grade 1?
14. Demonstrate a Petit Sauté
15. Does Petit mean large or small?
16. What does Sauté mean?
17. Is it important to finish in a demi plié when landing in Petit Sauté?
18. Should the feet be fully stretched when jumping in Petit Sauté?
19. Is the back heel down in Spring Points?
20. What does Reverence mean?
Exercise 1 Positions of the Head
Exercise 2 Port De Bras
Exercise 3 Battement Tendu
Exercise 4 Chassé & Rond de Jambe à Terre
Exercise 5 Galop & Polka
Exercise 6 Battement Tendu & Glissade
Exercise 7 Petit Saute & Spring Points
Exercise 8 Reverance
Example Assessment Dance
Theory Questions Grade 1 - Classical Ballet
Each candidate will be asked to demonstrate/answer two questions during the examination.
Question 1 – Candidates will be asked to demonstrate one piece of vocabulary from the list below which is from that grade or any previous grades:
1. Can you demonstrate a demi-plié?
2. Can you demonstrate a battement tendu devant?
3. Can you demonstrate a glissade devant?
4. Can you demonstrate 1st position of arms?
5. Can you demonstrate 2nd position of arms?
6. Can you demonstrate your arms in bras bas?
7. Can you demonstrate two sautés in 1st position?
8. Can you place your feet in 3rd position?
9. Can you demonstrate three classical walks forward?
10. Can you demonstrate a spring point?
Question 2 – Candidates will be asked one set question from the following list:
Technical Section Questions
1. What is a chassé?
2. Does the toe leave the floor in a battement tendu?
3. What does port de bras mean?
4. What does révérence mean?
5. Why is a lifted eyeline important in all work?
6. In the introduction to the Port de Bras exercise, how would you describe the movement demonstrated?
7. What feeling should you convey in the galops and polka exercise?
8. When you galop, which part of the foot leads?
9. What happens in a chassé?
10. Can you name two exercises in the same rhythm?